Amazon’s impact on the retail industry is undeniable. It’s a formidable competitor in every retail category, and the one that every retail marketer must factor into their strategy.
No matter which way we look at it, Amazon’s lead in consumer conversations fits its ambition: It’s huge. Its TotalSocial score crushes retailers in every category, and it ranks first in many by a huge margin.
Amazon’s total volume score is nearly perfect, meaning it earns more conversation both online and offline than nearly
any other brand. Amazon also excels at driving offline sentiment, reflecting the fact that face-to-face conversations about the brand are overwhelmingly positive.
What Brands Can Learn from Amazon
- Create campaigns and news that are effective in getting consumers to talk about the brand.
- Remember that offline and online each drive success and often require separate strategies.
- Leverage the in-store experience as an advantage over Amazon.
- Focus on marketing to influencers with large social networks.
- Design marketing to be shareable regardless of channel.
Let’s take a deep dive into some of the data to understand exactly who is talking about Amazon and what the trends look like. Read the full analysis in the eBook, "5 Ways to Beat Amazon - The Retailers Guide To Harnessing The Power Of Social Influence To Drive Sales", to gain more insights (from brands such as Nike, Kohl's, Macy's and Ulta) in having distinct marketing strategies for online and offline channels.